The Queen of Aviation (the Brief), Amna Al Jallaf is recognized internationally as one of the Middle East’s leading aviation law experts. Amna began her career as the first and only Emirati and Arabic speaking in-house legal counsel at Emirates. She credits a successful career at the airline on the special insight she gained by working alongside the crew in nearly every department.
After Emirates, Amna set her sights on establishing a premier commercial law boutique and the first specialist aviation firm in the UAE: Al Jallaf Advocates & Legal Consultants (Al Jallaf). Today, Amna’s clients include international law firms, multinational banks and corporations, and industry leaders. Her practice encompasses all aspects of commercial litigation and aviation law issues.
After more than 15 years in practice, and supported by a diverse team of internationally qualified lawyers, Amna remains on a drive to improve the quality of legal services in the region, aiming to bridge the gap between local firms and the international firms they support.
Complimenting her legal work, Amna has been appointed to a number of prestigious positions. Most recently, in May 2015, Amna was re-elected as a Member of the Board of the Dubai Chamber of Commerce; an office she has served for over ten years. Passionate about children’s welfare, Amna also has been appointed to the Board of Directors for the Awqaf & Minors Affairs Foundation.
In the legal field, Amna is one of a select number of notable legal professionals appointed to the Legal Advisory Panel of the Aviation Working Group (AWG), a UN endorsed international industry group. The Legal Advisory Panel and the AWG address various topics affecting international aviation financing and leasing. Amna is registered as an arbitrator with Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC).
EDUCATION AND HONOURS
- LLM, Washington College of Law, American University (1995)
- LLB, Al Ain University (1988)
COURT ADMISSIONS AND AFFILIATIONS
- Member of the Legal Committee of the Government of Dubai Legal Affairs Department (2016)
- Arbitrator, Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC) (2015)
- Member of the Board of Directors, Awqaf & Minors Foundation (2014)
- Adjunct Lecturer, College of Law, University of Dubai, LLM Programme (2014)
- Legal Advisory Panel, Aviation Working Group (2008)
- Member of the Board of Directors, Dubai Chamber of Commerce (2005)
PUBLICATIONS, SPEECHES AND PRESENTATIONS
Selected Book Chapters / Articles
- ‘Airline Sukuk Takes Off in the UAE’ (with Jeremy A. Brown), article in The Oath, Issue 47, (December 2015)
- UAE contribution (with Jeremy A. Brown) to the Pillsbury World Aircraft Repossession Index edited by Dominic Pearson and published by Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP, (2015)
- Al Jallaf, Amna with Ahmed, Nouraddin A. and Dillon-Leetch, Geoffrey, ‘United Arab Emirates’ in Nath, Ravi and Crans, Berend (Eds.), Aircraft Repossession and Enforcement: Practical Aspects, Alphen aan den Rijn: Kluwer Law International (2010)
Speeches / Lectures
- Amna speaks on topics concerning aviation law, UAE law, Islamic law and Islamic finance.